Tuesday 5 April 2011

Evaluation Question 1 - Part 1

Picture 1 - For this image we had to choose a shot that showed a relation between the lyrics and/or music with our video. I chose two screen shots that I think do that. The shots I chose cut between each other during the bridge in the song. The lyrics for the bridge are as if the lead singer is having an argument with his girlfriend so we thought it would be a good idea to have the video swapping between myself and Nathaniel to look as though we were having the argument.

Picture 2 - For this image I chose a shot of Nathaniel playing bass with his hair covering his face and the camera at low angle looking up. The reason I chose this shot is because I think a record company would want the artist to be represented as four young lads just picking up guitars and playing almost anything so with Nathaniel having his hair covering his face it makes it look a bit scruffy which is the kind of representation I think a record company would want to give from this particular song. AUTHENTICITY

Picture 3 - This shot I chose because I think it demonstrates our music genre (britpop) by showing myself simply performing in front of a microphone. Quite often britpop music videos have just the band performing on stage similar to our video. For example, the main influence for our style of video which was by a band called Life In Film and the video was for a song called "Sorry".



Picture 4 - For this shot the intertextual reference comes from "Sorry" by Life In Film. At the beginning of their video they have a very similar shot to the one I chose for my 4th key frame. This is also similar to the famous britpop band, The Smiths who have pretty much all of their album covers in black and white. I have referred to The Smiths because our video and the Life In Film video are both in black and white. The Smiths often referenced Kitchen Sink Dramas from the sixties that told stories of working class life - much like the song we chose. These sixties films such as Billy Liar and Saturday Night Sunday Morning used a naturalistic black and white style, something that our video also uses.

This is an example of one of The Smiths album covers

Picture 5 - I chose this shot for the fifth key frame because I needed to demonstrate the use of camerawork. This shot demonstrates the use of how we used the camera because for this particular shot we just had the camera zoomed in on the guitar. This is similar to Blurs "Song 2" when they zoom in on Graham Coxon playing his guitar.


Picture 6 - For the sixth key frame I chose a similar shot as the one I chose for the third shot. The reason for this was because you can see that only part of my face is lit up. This demonstrates the way we chose to have the lighting. We didn't want the stage to be to bright because we wanted it to be similar to other videos we had seen. What we did was put one light on the side of the stage and another light on the other side so that my face was lit up only from one side. Again this is similar to the video for "Sorry" by Life In Film.

Picture 7 - I chose the shot of myself in front of the Union Jack for the seventh shot because the Union Jack was a huge part of our Mis - en - Scene. Alex painted a Union Jack on to an old bed sheet which was in a britpop style because a big part of britpop is the whole "Do it Yourself" element. The reason we chose to paint a Union Jack is simply because we were making a video as if we were a britpop band and therefore wanted to have the British flag. This is a major part of Britpop as it was a symbol used very heavily in the sixties Mod culture, which is was precursor to the Britpop scene. Rather than having any right wing connotations, it is more to do with patriotism and cultural pride.

Picture 8 - I think the eighth picture shows that we have watched other music videos because in alot the picture is of myself playing my guitar. This shows that we have watched other music videos because in most britpop videos they will have the actual band playing and not actors acting out a story. There is an emphasis on a 'live' performance in order to create the idea of authenticity in terms of the band - this is a group that creates their own music, there is nothing fabricated or manufactured.

Picture 9 - Similar to the eighth picture. I chose this picture again because it shows Nathaniel playing his bass guitar. This is like alot of other britpop videos where they actually show the band playing there instruments instead of actors and actresses acting out a story.



The Cribs - Mens Needs. In this video The Cribs are also playing their instruments like alot of other Britpop music videos.


No comments:

Post a Comment